Welcome to 2016!
First up, a thank you for following me and being a fan! It has meant so much to me that so many people have been supportive this year, buying my books, leaving reviews, and sharing my works with others. You were such a great help in getting me to where I am.
2015 was a huge year for my writing. I went from just writing stories to actually publishing something! I self-published my first ever book, Rite of Passage, and then helped put together an anthology with some friends and my writing group. It was this year that I decided that I can turn my writing into something I can make a living at.
That is a massive undertaking. One that can be depressing to keep trying for without seeing any traction after several years. So, to make it easier to see if I’m making progress towards that goal and to work toward it in a logical manner, I created a ten year plan, breaking my dream up into smaller, manageable, parts.
2016 marks year 1 of the 5 year plan. During this phase of my writing I have 3 goals.
- Improve my writing through a lot of practice, publishing at least 3 short stories and 1 novel each year
- Build a following of readers by releasing books and short stories
- Build a following through social media, monthly newsletter, and blogging
Years 6-10 Plan
This five year goal is to take the writing that I have been working on, and really focusing on making a career out of it.
I will still continue publishing at least a novel each year, and short stories as I can, but my main goal will be learning to market my works and finding an agent and book contract. This will mean writing an extra novel a year that I don’t publish through whatever means I have been using up to this point (self-publishing or small presses) and use the book to attract an agent.
10 years from now, in 2026, I hope to be able to quit my day job so I can pursue writing full time. God willing, I think it’s an obtainable goal.
Okay, now that you have my basic plan, time to get to this year’s specific goals.
- Write and release 3 short stories, although I hope to release 5 or 6 for my Patreon supporters.
- Eternity’s Ark – part of the Sidekick’s anthology, I hope
- Domesticated Velociraptor story – part of my writing group’s anthology
- Soul Shifter story 3
- Release Gate Hacker as a novella mini series, with the full work coming out as a novel in December.
- Publish a blog post once a week.
- Send a monthly email to my followers with a status update about my writing.
- Plan out another novel before NaNoWriMo
For goals to be effective, they have to be in writing. Otherwise we forget about them too easily and are never reminded to strive for them. So, I might as well put all of my goals in the same place to make them easier to follow.
Several of these goals really should be daily, but I suck at doing things every day for more than a couple weeks at a time, so I cut them back to make them more realistically obtainable.
- Most importantly, I need to draw closer to God. I spend too much of my life trying to live my own way. Nothing matters as much as following God and serving Him. I’m not doing this out of a religious obligation to meet objectives and check boxes. I’m doing this because I want to be closer with God. I want my heart to yearn for the things that God wants. I want my life to be a reflection of Him, because He is awesome! Here’s how I plan to do this:
- Read the Bible at least three times a week
- Pray daily
- Lead my family in following God by:
- Family Bible time at least once a week
- Praying with the family daily, especially for meals
- Follow a budget to improve our finances!
- No stupid big purchases
- Reconcile my YNAB budget at least 3 times a week.
- Limit eating out by cooking at home and doing weekly grocery shopping.
- Get in shape by getting my bike fixed and taking Malikai out riding regularly.
- Regularly being at least once a week, weather permitting.
I have a lot of goals to work on this year!
Several of which are weekly, meaning it will take a lot of dedication and constant reminders. There are other things I would like to do this year but making this list of 2016 goals too large will make it difficult to achieve most of them. I would like to learn how to play the Piano with Malikai, and I want to continue to learn how to cook awesome meals, but as long as the main things I highlighted above are achieved, I will be extremely happy.
I don’t know what this year holds for me, with the help of God, and the support of my family, I will face it. 2016 will not just pass by in a blur where I continue on unchanged. I will be intentional with the days and weeks, making the most out of them instead of letting them fly by in blurs of routine.
What about you? What are your goals for this year?